Ten reasons why the IB Diploma Programme (DP) is ideal preparation for university.
- It increases academic opportunity – research* shows DP graduates are much more likely to be enrolled at a top higher ed institutions than other entrants holding other qualifications.
- IB students care about more than just results – through creativity, action, service (CAS) you learn outside the classroom and develop emotionally and ethically as well as intellectually.
- It encourages you to become a confident and independent learner – for example, the extended essay (EE) requires independent research through an in-depth study.
- It’s an international qualification – DP is recognized globally by universities and employers.
- Graduates are globally minded – language classes encourage an international mindset, key for increasingly globalized societies.
- The IB encourages critical thinking – students analyze and evaluate issues, generate ideas and consider new perspectives.
- DP Students have proven time management skills – students take good study habits, self discipline and time management to further education and the working world.
- It assesses more than examination techniques – learn to understand, not just memorize facts or topics and prepare for exams.
- Subjects are not taught in isolation – Theory of knowledge (TOK) classes encourage connections between subjects.
- It encourages breadth and depth of learning – Choose courses from six subject groups and study subjects at different levels.
*Based on IB research – http://www.ibo.org/research
Want to learn more? Click this link and please attend one or both events listed below.
VPS Magnet Fair: January 10 at 6:30 pm Roosevelt Elementary: 2921 Falk Road Vancouver, WA 98661
River IB Magnet Night & Open House: January 17 at 6:30 pm at Columbia River High School: 800 NW 99th Street Vancouver, WA 98665